Welcome to the Workplace Health and Safety page, where we aim to provide you with advice and support on matters important to you, helping you to stay safe whilst at work. Our health and safety policy is available here. Please additional find a 'First Aid Instructions' guide here.
HM Government have released guidance on Working safely during Covid-19 in offices and contact centres which can be accessed here.
How should health and safety be managed?
A presentation with information about health and safety training for managers is available here.If you have management responsibilities for an area or for staff:
- You need to be aware of the hazards and risks in the workplace
- You should identify who could be harmed and how
- You must control the risks as far as is reasonably practicable
- You should record what you have identified and done
- You have to make sure the risks stay controlled
As a member of staff:
- You have a duty to take care of your own health and safety and that of others who may be affected by your actions at work.
- You must co-operate with your employer and colleagues to help everyone meet their legal requirements.
Who can help?
We have now engaged Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust to provide the CCGs with health and safety support. Berkshire Healthcare provides specialist and technical advice on matters of health, safety and well-being. Their areas of work include:
- Creating a pro-active safety culture to help minimise incidents
- Advising individual services on various aspects of health, safety and well-being
- Investigating health and safety incidents while supporting managers and staff to identify the lessons learned
Controls can be put into place fairly simply. Influencing or changing the way people work can often be a highly effective method of control which you can usually achieve yourself. If you have a health and safety concern, contact your manager in the first instance. Often issues can be resolved quickly at a local level. Useful information for managers and staff will be made available through this intranet site. Please visit this site regularly to see what's been posted.
Most CCG staff work in an office environment. To aid managers carry out assessments in this environment the HSE has produced an excellent on-line office risk assessment tool, which can be accessed via www.hse.gov.uk/risk/office.htm
If further support is required, contact:
Health, Safety and Security Management Specialist
Berkshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust